There is no opportunity on this trip to buy new equipment. Ensuring you have the right gear is essential for everyone’s safety. It can be equally dangerous to carry too much gear that is not useful. If you are weighed down this adds to fatigue and you will be unable to accelerate your rhythm in bad weather.
What to bring and pack - Walking
- Hiking boots or fell shoes, with soles in excellent condition
- Shorts and T shirts
- Good quality waterproof Gortex jacket
- Warm fleece
- Thermal hat and Thermal gloves
- Waterproof trousers (optional)
- Sun protection (sunhat, sun cream, lip protection, sunglasses)
- 2 litre platypus/camel-bag (A platypus system helps you to drink enough and saves time. Mix in energy drinks or electrolyte if this is something you do normally)
- Tupperware lunch box with leak proof lid (optional)
- Fork or spoon
- Penknife (knifes are often not provided in the refuges)
- Basic first aid kit with blister repair (moleskin or compeed)
- Toilet paper / pocket tissues / plastic ziplock bags
- Small mirror (optional)
- Two walking poles
- Leggings or thermal tights
- Teva style sandals
- Small quick dry travel towel
- Plastic bags and zip-lock style bags
- Small wash bag with toiletries & antibacterial hand wash
- Sleeping bag -5° comfort
- Energy bars (a few of your preferred snack bars or gels. You should be eating little and often.
Rucksack 35-45 litres (You will need a heavy duty bin liner inside it to keep your bag waterproof, a thin nylon cover is not sufficient in heavy rain)
In recent years there has been an increase in bedbugs in the refuges on the GR20 and even in some of the hotels. This problem is not specific to Corsica. There are repellants available, that you can spray on your rucksack or sleeping bag before you come, if you know you are susceptible to bites. You should also bring anti histamine treatment if this is the case.
List of equipment to bring to do GR20.
All the information you need, to find where to eat and drink on the GR20, restaurants, small shops, shepherds with cheese and sausage.
In Which Direction. North to South, or South to North.
The single most important equipment choice you make before leaving has got to be the choice of shoes.
Planes, buses, taxis: transport to join the departure of the GR20.
How to calculate the price for your GR20, how much does it all cost, the refuges, the food, a coffee...
The best maps of the route are produced by the IGN (Institut Géographique National) at a scale of 1:25,000.
The GR20 is certainly one of the hardest long distance walks out there. Several factors contribute to this, the rough rocky terrain, the unpredictable weather and micro climates.
The stone base layer, is what exists today of Carrozzu refuge. The above floor is the proposed design for the modernization.
The GR20 is protected by the Parc Naturel Régional de Corse. With such a large volume of people every year, there are certain rules in place to protect the area.
How about electricity on the GR20?